Thursday, April 23, 2009

Springtime in Alaska


Aaaahhhhhhh.....there is nothing like the relief of finishing up a class. I certainly feel it and I know my students are, at this point in the school year, aching to feel it too! Spring fever-cabin fever- whatever fever you want to call it, it is a real phenomenom - and here in Alaska where winter only loosens its grip after a fight, these spring days are a blessing and a curse.

The weather forecasters say we have the possibility of snow showers today and looking up at the Chugach mountains I can say that they are right. I am, however, selfishly hoping it doesn't move down here as my son is running today.

That is the other thing about spring time in Alaska, the season is a bright burst between winter and summer and the athletic seasons that mirror it are too. Chris' JH track season is 4 weeks long. In that time he has to develop and peak skills in a hostile environment. Today it is low 40's - which he says is ideal for running as long as the wind doesn't blow or that snow up on the Chugach's doesn't move down.

Let summer begin!

No comments: